IXL's 2022 Study in the Sun Contest
We are excited to host our annual Study in the Sun contest to encourage learning all summer long! Read how the contest works and get answers to frequently asked questions here.
Official Contest Entry Form
This contest is for IXL students only!
If you are a student on an active IXL subscription and would like to register for this contest, please ask your teacher or parent to sign in to IXL and visit https://nz.ixl.com/contest to sign you up.
2022 IXL STUDY IN THE SUN CONTEST
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE OR PAYMENT WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
MANY WILL ENTER. A FEW WILL WIN.
ENTRANTS MUST HAVE THEIR PARENT, LEGAL GUARDIAN OR TEACHER COMPLETE THE REGISTRATION FORM ON THEIR BEHALF.
VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW.
- 1. Eligibility: Open to public and private elementary, middle school and high school students (or their primary or secondary school equivalents) who are a registered user in good standing on the IXL Learning, Inc. website (“IXL”) through an active IXL site (school/district) account, classroom account, or family account.
- 1. Eligibility: Open to public and private elementary, middle school and high school students (or their primary or secondary school equivalents) who are a registered user in good standing on the IXL Learning, Inc. website (“IXL”) through an active IXL site (school/district) account, classroom account, or family account. Students with user accounts held through trial memberships are not eligible to enter or win. Eligibility is worldwide (to the extent permitted by applicable law), but subject to U.S. law as set forth herein. Students with a parent, step-parent or legal guardian who has an employment, consulting or other form of business relationship with IXL, other than as a subscriber to IXL, are not eligible to enter or win. Void where prohibited by law. A student’s or child’s teacher or parent/legal guardian must provide consent and must agree to these Official Rules on behalf of the entrant before a student or child may participate in the Contest.
- 2. How to Enter: The entry period begins on June 3, 2022, at 12:00 a.m. PDT and ends on August 7, 2022 at 11:59 p.m. PDT (the “Contest Period”). Enter by doing one of the following:
- a. If you have a family account: Ask your parent or legal guardian to log into IXL, go to the registration form, select your name, and follow the instructions for completion of the form on your behalf.
- b. If you have an account through a site (school/district) account or classroom account: Ask your teacher to log in to IXL, go the registration form, select your name, and follow the instructions for completion of the form on your behalf.
- 3. How to Compete: During the Contest Period, students compete by accessing IXL from the classroom and/or from home (as their teachers and parents permit) and answering as many questions correctly as they can over the course of the Contest Period. The following additional guidelines apply:
- (i) Entrants in Group 1 compete against other Group 1 entrants.
- (ii) Entrants in Group 2 compete against other Group 2 entrants.
- (iii) Entrants in Group 3 compete against other Group 3 entrants.
- (iv) Questions answered correctly in any of the subjects included in an entrant’s subscription (e.g., math, language arts, science, social studies, and Spanish) will be counted.
- (v) Questions answered correctly as part of a trial subscription will not be counted.
- (vi) Questions completed as part of the Real-Time Diagnostic will not be counted.
- (vii) For entrants in Group 1, questions answered correctly in all grade levels will be counted.
- (viii) For entrants in Group 2, only questions answered correctly for Grades 3 and above will be counted.
- (ix) For entrants in Group 3, only questions answered correctly for Grades 7 and above will be counted.
- (x) Once a Skill has been mastered during the Contest Period (mastering a Skill means achieving a SmartScore™ of 100 for that Skill), no additional questions answered correctly in that Skill will be credited to the entrant for purposes of the Contest.
- (xi) Prior to mastering a Skill, entrants are limited to answering a total of 50 questions within the Skill (whether answered correctly or incorrectly). This means that correct answers from only the first 50 questions answered by an entrant within a Skill will be credited to that entrant’s total of correct answers for purposes of the Contest.
- (xii) Once an entrant has answered 500 questions on any one day during the Contest Period (whether answered correctly or incorrectly), no additional questions answered correctly on that day will be credited to the entrant for purposes of the Contest. A “day” means the 24-hour period beginning at 12:00 a.m. PDT and continuing through 11:59 p.m. PDT on the same calendar day.
- 4. How to Win: The three entrants from each of Group 1, Group 2 and Group 3 (for a total of nine (9) winners) who have the highest number of eligible questions answered correctly during the Contest Period within their Group will be the winners. In the event of a tie, the entrant with the higher percentage of correctly answered eligible questions will win. If a second tie-breaker is required for the same entrants, the entrant with the higher number of Skills mastered will win.
- 5. Notification of Winners. Winners will be announced on or about August 15, 2022 on the IXL Blog, and Winners’ parent, legal guardian or teacher will be notified via email or other methods at IXL’s discretion. Please make sure that all contact information associated with your account is up to date. The Winners’ parent or legal guardian must respond to the notification within 240 hours of the time that it is sent. If a Winner was enrolled in the Contest by a teacher, it is the teacher’s responsibility to inform the parent or legal guardian of the Winner immediately so that the parent or legal guardian is able to respond to the notification within the specified timeframe. In the event Sponsor or its designee is unable to successfully contact or communicate with a winner and/or winner fails to respond to notification within the specified time frame, Sponsor may instead award the Prize to the entrant within the same Group with the next highest number of questions answered correctly and that responds as set forth above (and with the same tie-breaker provisions as set forth above). The approximate retail value (“APR”) of each prize is $330 U.S.D. The APR of all prizes is $3,150 U.S.D.
- 6. Prize: Each winner will have the choice to receive a 32GB iPad® or $330 VISA gift card (“Prize”). To receive a prize, entrant must be in compliance with these Official Rules as solely determined by the Sponsor. In the event a winner is determined not to be in compliance, the Prize otherwise due that winner may be awarded to the next eligible entrant as described above.
Odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received.
ALL FEDERAL, STATE, AND LOCAL TAXES ARE SOLELY THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE WINNER. Any difference between the stated estimated value of the prize and its actual value will not be awarded. Each winner agrees to accept the Prize “as is.” Sponsor or its representative may provide the winners with an IRS Form 1099 showing the actual retail value of the Prize for the calendar year in which the Prize was awarded. Prizes are nonrefundable and nontransferable. Sponsor is not required to (but may, in its sole discretion) offer substitutions, or an alternative, to the Prize awarded under this Contest. In addition, Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value in the event the Prize is unavailable. The prizes awarded are subject to the restrictions and limitations noted in these Official Rules, on the prizes and/or included with the prizes.
- 7. General Entry Rules: Any individual or entrant who attempts or otherwise encourages, directly or indirectly, entry under multiple identities or for a proxy individual, and/or uses multiple computers, multiple accounts or usernames, multiple Internet Protocol addresses, so-called “proxy servers” (e.g., including using VPN, TOR or other such systems), or any software program to manipulate or create unauthorized multiple entries for this Contest, or uses any other device, method, or artifice to enter or encourage, directly or indirectly, false entries as determined by the Sponsor in its sole and absolute discretion, will be disqualified. Sponsor reserves the right to review and investigate all entries and to take any and all measures it deems necessary to ensure a fair Contest.
Sponsor and its parent, subsidiaries and affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies, suppliers, printers, and distributors, and their respective officers, directors, employees, representatives and agents and any other person or entity related in any way to this Contest (collectively, the “Contest Entities”), are not responsible for circumstances that may limit or otherwise restrict the ability to participate, including, but not limited to: (i) late, incomplete, garbled, or mutilated entries; technical, hardware, or miscellaneous software malfunctions; viruses; network or electronic malfunctions of any kind; (ii) any human error that may occur in winner notification or other Contest-related communications; (iii) non-receipt by entrants of any communications from Sponsor or its designee; or (iii) any printing errors in these Official Rules. If a printing, electronic, or other error results in more prizes being claimed than the number stated in these Official Rules, all persons making purportedly valid claims will be included in a random drawing to award the advertised number of prizes available. No more than the advertised number of prizes will be awarded.
If for any reason the Contest cannot be conducted as described in these Official Rules (including infection by computer virus, bugs, worms, tampering, hacking, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other cause beyond the reasonable control of Contest Entities that corrupts or affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Contest), Sponsor shall have the right, at its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend this Contest and select winners from entries received prior to the action taken as deemed fair and appropriate by Sponsor. At Sponsor’s sole discretion, entrants who do not comply with these Official Rules or who otherwise attempt to interfere with this Contest in any way may be disqualified.
ALL DECISIONS BY SPONSOR ARE FINAL. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES, DO NOT ENTER THE CONTEST.
- 9. Release and Indemnification: By entering, entrants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsor which shall be final for all purposes hereunder, and entrants acknowledge, understand, and agree that each of them assumes liability for, and all risks of, any and all injuries (including without limitation, personal injury, illness, adverse reaction, or death) or damages caused, or claimed to be caused, by participating in the Contest, and that entrants, their heirs, next of kin, spouse, guardians, legal representatives, executors, administrators, successors and assigns, hereby unconditionally and irrevocably release, indemnify, forever discharge and hold the Contest Entities harmless from and against any and all claims, demands, liens, agreements, suits, costs, attorneys’ fees, damages, judgments, orders, and liabilities of whatever kind or nature in law, equity or otherwise, whether known or unknown, suspected or unsuspected, and whether or not concealed or hidden, inclusive of any claims for damage to property, personal injury, illness, mental illness, or death, or claims based on defamation, rights of privacy, intellectual property rights, and rights of publicity in any way arising directly or indirectly out of the entrants’ participation in the Contest.
Each entrant hereby waives application of California Civil Code Section 1542 which provides as follows:
A GENERAL RELEASE DOES NOT EXTEND TO CLAIMS WHICH THE CREDITOR DOES NOT KNOW OR SUSPECT TO EXIST IN HIS FAVOR AT THE TIME OF EXECUTING THE RELEASE, WHICH IF KNOWN BY HIM MUST HAVE MATERIALLY AFFECTED HIS SETTLEMENT WITH THE DEBTOR.
Each entrant expressly waives the provisions of Section 1542 of the California Civil Code as well as any other statutes, rules, laws, ordinances, or common law principles or other authority of similar effect of any jurisdiction, and further waives any right to invoke said provisions now or in the future with regard to the Contest. Entrants and the winners further acknowledge and agree that this waiver is an essential and material term of these Official Rules and the Contest.
Entrants may be required to complete and sign an Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability Release (unless prohibited by law) and other documents as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion, and may be asked to sign a Media Release for publicity purposes. As applicable, entrants must return such documentation to Sponsor or Sponsor’s representatives or the prizes may be forfeited and awarded to the next eligible entrant.
- 10. Miscellaneous Conditions: EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT PRE-EMPTED BY FEDERAL OR OTHER APPLICABLE STATE LAW, THE CONTEST SHALL BE GOVERNED BY THE LAWS OF THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, WITHOUT GIVING EFFECT TO ANY CONFLICT OF LAW PROVISIONS THEREOF. ENTRANTS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR CONFIRMING THAT THESE OFFICIAL RULES CONFORM WITH THE LAWS OF THEIR RESPECTIVE JURISDICTIONS AND HEREBY CERTIFY THAT THEY HAVE DONE SO. ENTRANTS UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT ALL CLAIMS, DISPUTES OR CONTROVERSIES BETWEEN ENTRANT AND THE CONTEST ENTITIES SHALL BE RESOLVED BY FINAL AND BINDING ARBITRATION IN THE COUNTY OF SAN MATEO, STATE OF CALIFORNIA. BY ENTERING, ENTRANTS VOLUNTARILY AND KNOWINGLY WAIVE ANY RIGHT THEY HAVE TO A JURY TRIAL. THIS ARBITRATION CONTRACT IS MADE PURSUANT TO A TRANSACTION IN INTERSTATE COMMERCE AND ITS INTERPRETATION, APPLICATION, ENFORCEMENT AND PROCEEDINGS HEREUNDER SHALL BE GOVERNED BY THE FEDERAL ARBITRATION ACT (“FAA”). THE ARBITRATOR SHALL BE BOUND TO APPLY AND ENFORCE THE TERMS OF THE OFFICIAL RULES AND THE ARBITRATOR’S DECISION WILL BE FINAL, BINDING, AND ENFORCEABLE IN A COURT OF COMPETENT JURISDICTION. NEITHER ENTRANT NOR SPONSOR SHALL BE ENTITLED TO JOIN OR CONSOLIDATE CLAIMS IN ARBITRATION BY OR AGAINST OTHER CONSUMERS OR ARBITRATE ANY CLAIM AS A REPRESENTATIVE OR MEMBER OF A CLASS.
Further, in any such dispute, under no circumstances will entrants be permitted to obtain awards for, and they hereby waive all rights to claim, punitive, incidental or consequential damages, and they further waive all rights to have damages multiplied or increased. Any claims must be asserted within ninety (90) days of the date they accrue or else they will forever be barred, even if a longer statute of limitations may apply.
- 11. Winners List and Official Rules: You may request the name of the winners by sending a self-addressed, stamped envelope by November 30, 2022 to Sponsor at the address below, Attn: 2022 IXL Study in the Sun Contest. Winners may be identified by name of teacher, parent or legal guardian. During the Contest Period, Official Rules requests may be sent to the same address. Rules requests must include a self-addressed, stamped envelope. Residents of Vermont may omit return postage for rules requests.
- 12. Sponsor Contact Information: IXL Learning, Inc., 777 Mariners Island Blvd., Suite 600, San Mateo, CA 94404 (USA). iPad® is a trademark of Apple Inc. Apple Inc. is not a sponsor or co-sponsor, and does not endorse and is not otherwise affiliated with, the Contest.
13. Copyright Notice: The Contest and all accompanying materials are copyright
© 2022 IXL Learning, Inc. All rights are reserved.